Monday, October 28, 2019

Displacement Maps

One thing that I have noticed when I am modeling is that I do not really like using bump mapping and textures. I like to physically make the creases in the clothes and just add color to it through a material. For example, in my recent project, I sculpted those creases in the crystals because I felt that I had more control over it and could better visualize it if it was already there both rendered and unrendered. So, on Instagram, I have found a lot of posts that show realistic humans and then pictures of those models unrendered. In the unrendered photo, you can see all the details on the skin and the clothes already there, but to model all this is definitely impossible, so I wanted to figure out how they do it. That is how I found displacement maps. In this blogpost I am going to discuss how to create these and include tests so I can see what I can and cannot do.

 I have based my tutorial on this video:






Tutorial:
I am using this picture of my carpet to create this tutorial displacement map.


First, your model needs to have geometry so subdivide if needed

Next, add the displacement modifier

Next, in the textures tab make sure it is on displace and not brush or brush mask

Then, add a texture and import your image
*in my custom texture brushes I mentioned that the image needed to be black and white. I believe that this is the same for these displacement maps.*

Then, in the modifiers tab adjust the strength to change the look of the map
Before:

After:

Next, if you want more detail, add a subdivision surface modifier
*this needs to be above the displacement modifier*


Tests:
Making the Texture Black, White and Grey:


Not as graphic of a change as black and white, so I should be including greys in the texture. This means I should use greyscale rather than just black and white in ibis PaintX.

Color Textures:


 Colored Images do work, this makes the whole process much easier since it removes a step in between.

Two Different Textures on One Object:


You can only have one displacement map at a time on a mesh in blender render, so the only way I can think of doing this in blender render is by making them separate objects and adding the separate meshes to them.

Complicated Images:


It works, but it does not look too good.

It only looks good when the strength is down really low which I do not think will be that helpful. Work Log:
Monday:Blogpost
Tuesday:Blogpost
Wednesday:Blogpost
Thursday:Worked on mother
Friday:worked on son

No comments:

Post a Comment