Friday, October 18, 2019

Marking Period 1 Blogpost(Photos Fixed Hopefully)

Intention Definition & Exploration of Ideas:
This year, I decided to continue my theme from last year which was looking inward. This year, I wanted to continue making art that expressed an emotion or thought involving an emotion. I wanted to do this using a character and having a wide range of objects surrounding the character like a collage because I have been interested in art like that lately. For my first piece, I was inspired by my inability to make a decision. When forced to make a decision, I usually ask the magic 8 ball, flip a coin, or pick a number. So working off of that I was thinking of doing a piece that involves ignoring the inevitable by relying on these little things and horoscopes to tell you that it will not happen. Kind of like not feeling prepared for a test and rather than studying asking a magic 8 ball if you’ll be fine without studying. For my second piece it is much easier to explain. It is basically being pressured by parents and every move you make basically being like taking a gamble.
Planning:
When planning for the magical piece, I knew that I wanted to use darker colors like blue, purple and black because they are like supernatural colors to me. I also knew I wanted to portray the positivity/naivety of this idea by having the character wear rose-colored glasses along with a pink light shine on the characters face from the phone. I also planned that I wanted these fortunes to be a magic 8 ball, fortune cookies, crystals, and tarot cards aligned in a way to show the challenges that are holding the character back in the present. For the family piece, I have recently done research on how to illustrate people to look older and younger so I could make the age difference between my characters be more obvious. I also looked into the specific clothing I wanted to wear so I could make a game plan for how I wanted to make them in blender. Lastly, I found this way to hair with just hair textures which creates an old game hairstyle look but I for some reason liked when testing it out.


Producing:

 For this piece I decided to draw the character rather than model it which proved to move my work flow along more quickly considering I finished this in two weeks. I decided that I really liked the drawing I made to plan the character out so I decided to layer that on top of the digital drawing and use both. I modeled most of the background pieces and rendered those and then basically did the rest of my work in ibis PaintX.

 For this piece, I decided to model the characters which has proven to take more time than just drawing them, but I felt that modeling them would make it look better with the details. After getting the models done I noticed that they looked stiff, so I spent more time focusing on that to make sure that it looks like how I envisioned it. I also haven’t gotten to do the hair yet because I do not want to use a hair strand from the internet, but I have been having trouble creating a hair strand texture. 
Bored/On the Side Work:




 Evaluating:
This marking period I have noticed that drawing the character makes the whole work process go by faster, but makes the character look flatter and less 3D than a 3D model. I am still not sure which one I want to continue with so I am probably just going to do whatever seems more logical with the piece. I also like the collage look in the first piece, but I feel like I could have done more to make it look better even though every time I try to add something it does not look good. For the family pressure piece, I like how I have started to focus less on time and more on how the models look because I do definitely see the quality of the piece go up because of it. I have been switching in and out of rendered view and decided I do not like the 2D look on these models so I think I am going to do something else.

Integrating: In the next marking period, I want to look at artists that do collage work or editing with photoshop and get some inspiration from them so I can improve my collages. I also think I am going to try toon shader in cycles and see how that looks on the models because I do not like how they look right now completely flat. I also think I am going to do a blogpost on photo editing techniques just so I can learn some new tricks that can help me improve my art. I also started playing with pixel art lately and I want to try incorporating that in my art too. Lastly, I am going to have to do research on casinos and gambling stuff as my knowledge is limited.

Work Log:
Monday: no school
Tuesday: Prism Concert
Wednesday: Worked on dad
Thursday: Worked on dad and son
Friday: worked on this blogpost

No comments:

Post a Comment