Saturday, March 16, 2019

90s/80s Anime Aesthetic

For this blog post, I will explain my interpretation of the 90s/80s anime aesthetic, what I like about it and how I can use it my artwork. I have tried to find ways that explain what it is or what qualifies in this aesthetic but all I can find is the artwork of it so I am limited to my interpretation of these works.

What it is:
 I consider this aesthetic to follow at least one of two criteria: has a blurry/grainy look as an anime in the 80s or 90s would, and/or contains a caption(is usually yellow or white and is centered at the bottom of the image). These images can really almost be anything, but what I noticed with the text is that they usually portray a thought of sorts which with my theme being emotions is something I can use in my artworks. The majority of the works I saw were not really the person's own art and instead are screenshots of animes put together to display a mood. Although this is their common form there are artists that have taken this aesthetic and used it in their own works.


*from Tumblr

 What I Like:
I like how the image in these work does not fit the thought in these images. Although they do not really convey the meaning in the text they are kind of like a post on social media where you take a picture and add a caption which is also why I feel like I can relate to these images. I also like the colors to them. They're not harsh colors and are instead very soft and nice to look at. I also like the captions to the images because you can relate to them.


*from Instagram

 How I can use it in my Art:
As I stated earlier, the caption part of this aesthetic is usually like a thought which relates to my theme this year of emotions. Since these captions are kind of like thoughts, I can take my daily thoughts and use them as inspiration for these images. I also think that this would make thinking of ideas easier because I would think of something and jot it down and create an image to go along with it.


*from Instagram

Work Log:
Monday:Creating Vines
Tuesday:Creating Vines
Wednesday:Creating Flowers
Thursday:Creating Flowers
Friday:Rendering Frames

No comments:

Post a Comment