Sunday, February 9, 2020

Typography

For this blogpost, I am going to look at typography and the rules of hierarchy, what techniques are used and how to use that to create that focus on the more important text. To start off typographic hierarchy is simply showing the reader which text to focus on and which is important. This can be shown through size, weight, and color.

Techniques:

Size
This was something we discussed during our critique so this is something that is already ingrained in my head. Essentially, the bigger the text the more important it is. For the gambling piece, I know that I do want to bring the “set in stone” part down a size but I definitely want to keep the last part large. Other than that, I am not yet sure what I want to do with the rest of it. Maybe I can make some key words big so the eye can kind of jump from those words and kind of get an idea of what is going on. 

Weight
This is basically saying that the bolder text is kind of the headings while the smaller thinner text is like the caption. Personally, I do not think I want to mess with this too much. I personally still want my art to be the main focus of the piece so I do not want to structure the text like it is some article in a magazine.

Color
This is one of the aspects I can see myself using more. Color in typography is mainly used to create a contrast. This can be between the text and the background or with words in between the text itself. I think this is another way I can show that contrast between keywords and normal text in my piece rather than using size as I stated above.

Setting up for Hierarchy:

Body Copy
When doing this, it is best to start with the basics of title, heading, text in normal text in the middle and working off of that to determine would work best for the piece. It is also important to keep the 50-60 character limit. I think this is how I do want to start my pieces because it is definitely clearing my head a little more than trying to do it first try.

Font Pairings I know that there are websites that can give you font pairings but I also liked the advice given here to kind of find and create my own font pairings:

“find an anchor font for your main text.
find secondary fonts for possible combinations.
 evaluate and determine a combination.”

Creating a Z
This plays off of the idea that we read from left to right. This takes this idea and arranges the text so it bounces from left to right and kind of catches the reader’s attention. Another note for this is that it is kind of done in a repeating pattern and this is the reason why most logos are on the top left corner. 

Eye Test
This is simply the easiest way to determine if one’s typography is doing what the designer wants them to do. This kind of verifies how the piece looks by simply asking if this looks right or if it is read in a logical order. In a couple of words, I can say that I will definitely need this.

My Attempt:


link:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bzt-YA-M4bKRb69f_whYJFKAy8I3MMCY6WjlAfj46zc/edit?usp=sharing



Work Log:
Monday: filling out end of marking period paper
Tuesday: rigging model
Wednesday: rigging model
Thursday: rigging model
Friday: absent

No comments:

Post a Comment